Want something warm and hearty, but tired of chili? Try black bean soup! This one features chorizo, a fantastic smoky sausage that provides just the right amount of heat.
2 teaspoons olive or coconut oil, divided
3 ounces Spanish chorizo (not to be confused with Mexican chorizo - read about the difference)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chile powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups unsalted chicken stock
2 (15 oz.) cans unsalted black beans, coarsely mashed
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1) Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil, swirl to coat and add chorizo. Cook 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove chorizo from pan (do not wipe pan)
2) Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan , swirl to coat and add onion and bell pepper. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in oregano, garlic, cumin, chile powder and salt; cook 30 seconds.
3) Stir in stock and beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes.
4) Stir in cooked chorizo and lime juice.
5) Ladle into bowls and top with greek yogurt, lime wedge and fresh cilantro. It's amazing the difference fresh herbs can make!