Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

MTB: Ogemaw Hills Pathway

I know you're seeing a theme with the past few entries, but I promise that not all of my posts will be about mountain biking. If you're from the Midwest you'll understand why I can't keep away from the outdoors at the moment...Michigan summers are gone before you know it!

I had the chance to check out a couple new trails this past weekend. While there are several resources to find trails and reviews, you just never really know what you’re in for until you see it in person. Home base was Houghton Lake, so we were trying to find trails in the area. We settled on Ogemaw Pathway and Hanson Hills. 

Ogemaw Hills Pathway


Ogemaw Pathway is located in the hills north of West Branch at the comer of Fairview and Clear Lake Roads. The trails wind through approximately 15 miles of the AuSable State Forest providing groomed cross country trails for all skill levels.

I should preface this by mentioning that I only rode the southern portion of the trail. 

Ogemaw looked promising, but ended up being a bust. The track itself was a little overgrown and had more leaf-cover then I would have liked. A couple miles in we ran into swampy area and had to carry our bikes while picking our way through stinky puddles and slimy trees…meanwhile, proving to be a tasty treat for the local mosquito population.

In my opinion, the downhills were not worth the climbs and the ‘overlook’ might have been nice…but I couldn’t see over the 6-foot brush that surrounded the lookout area. So, all-in-all, it was an ‘ok’ trail that I probably will not be returning to. However, I am a firm believer that the beauty of a trail is in the eye of the rider, so please don’t take my word for it!

Location: West Branch, Mi
Total Miles of Trails: 13.6

In other news, West Branch might be a good destination for you morel-hunters! We spotted this guy right in the middle of the trail:


Happy riding! Next up will be a brief review of Hanson Hills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment