Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

MTB: Hanson Hills

As mentioned in my previous post, I had the opportunity to ride two trails this past weekend. I gave you my thoughts on Ogemaw, so next up:

Hanson Hills

source
Hanson is a gem hidden in the city of Grayling, Mi. The city is most known for its impressive military base (Camp Grayling is the largest National Guard training facility in the U.S), but turns out it is also home to some impressive MTB trails!

There are about 24 miles of trails total consisting of two large 10+ mile loops with some advanced/expert alternates sprinkled in, as well as a 3-mile Easy Rider Loop. We rode the main loop, meaning we followed the yellow bike signs. This brings me to my first point: this trail is very well marked. There is nothing more frustrating then trying to ride a trail that isn't. It's a lot more fun to ride when you have the peace-of-mind that you're on the right trail and won't have to stop at every sign to try to figure out where you are. 

The first mile or so is flat, allowing you to get your legs spinning briefly before the climbs begin. It is a ski-hill, afterall! Thankfully, though, there are not a lot of roots. The hills give way to flowy downhill and rolling terrain. "There are enough technical sections to keep you honest." as one review says - I have to agree. 

Unlike Ogemaw, the 'scenic overlook' actually provided a view!


Being a beginner, it was a challenge, but not insurmountable. I saw a fair amount of 'real' riders out there and it looks like it's a fun trail that they can really hammer through. I hope to be there one day!

VERDICT:
Ogemaw – Nay
Hanson – Yay

Ride it? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment